Masterclass for storytelling trainersFebruary 24, 2020 Monday,10:00 - February 28, 2020 Friday,17:30
- For those who have experience in professional storytelling but are now looking for a stepping stone to become a storytelling trainer.
- For those who have experience in storytelling training, but are looking for new inspiration, different perspectives, exchange of ideas and exercises, conversations with colleagues ...
- For those who want to gain more insight into the competence model for oral storytelling and want to get started with it individually or in a training course.
During this 5-day course we will work through an array of topics and exercises that apply to and can be used in oral storytelling training. Each process we be linked to the different domains of the new competence model for oral storytelling, as presented at the FEST 2019 conference. The main focus will be on the domains of the researcher-craftsman-artist-performer.
Furthermore, we will have exercise swaps and switch roles where you will guide an exercise making our workflow a combination of training and reflection on training.
Afterwards we ask you to work with the exercises from the course and your already existing exercises in your personal circle and training, reporting back experiences and insights to us. These experiences will become part of the FEST website.
Veva Gerard is trained as a professional ‘artist of the spoken word’. She graduated from LUCA in Leuven and from the Kleine Academie in Brussels. She started as a presenter, recitation artist, and actress. In addition, she was an inspired and inspiring teacher in these domains for a long time. Later on, she discovered storytelling. She lobbied for and ensured storytelling an official place in the renewed art decree for part-time art education by the Ministry of Education. Now, storytelling can be a subsidised course in all academies throughout Flanders, which are interested in organising it. Her own storytelling course at the academy of Lier is well attended by students from Flanders and the Netherlands, making her a full time teacher. In both Belgium and the Netherlands she is often a guest lecturer and sometimes sits on juries. For the Federation for European Storytelling, she worked on a competence model for oral storytelling, and she developed a toolbox to gain insight into this model. But of course, she also likes to perform on stage, preferably with her musical storytelling collective 'Sister and such'.www.vevagerard.webs.com - www.zusenzo.webs.com
In the Stedelijke Academie voor Muziek-Woord-Dans (Municipal Academy for Music-Word - Dance), Gasthuisvest 50, Lier, Belgium.
The academy is a vibrant school where music, spoken word and dance are educated. It is housed in an old monastery building, which is located on a small cultural campus with classrooms, large and small concert halls, "Bar Muza" dining facilities and "Bed Muzet" sleeping accommodations. The academy is located near the beautiful historic center of Lier.
Monday February 24th to Friday February 28th, 2020
Monday April 6th to Friday April 10th, 2020
Dates depend on the availability of the participants. The classes take place from 10 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. with lunch and coffee breaks.
A follow-up course is possible the following year, after which a certificate can be hand out.
How to register?
- Application must be done by sending an email to and in cc.
- You will receive a registration form and payment details.
- A minimum of 4 participants is required. The maximum amount is 10.
- Registration deadline 23 September 2019 (this training is part of an official and academic school system, so this is a hard deadline)
- 314,00 EURO (adults over 25)
- Payment deadline: before the end of September.
- A separate amount for copies is added during the year 8 to 10 euros.
Contributions from FEST
Participants can apply for a 50% refund of the registration fee for this Course
- REFUND: 157,00 EURO
- WHO: First 10 participants who enroll
- HOW: Send proof of registration and proof of payment to .
Where to eat?
In the cloister corridors there are tables to eat your own lunch. You can also eat in the garden. Next door you will find "Bar Muza" a tavern with a beautiful terrace. Nearby there are take-aways, shops ... In combination with sleeping in youth hostel "Bed Muzet" you can also opt for breakfast, and / or packed lunch, and / or dinner.
Where to stay?
On the campus of the academy, on the other side of the park, you will find culture/youth hostel "Bed Muzet". You can spend the night cheaply there. The rooms are basic but fairly new and clean. You can make a reservation at https://www.jeugdherbergen.be/nl/lier
You can also find a range of hotels, b&b's or air-b&b's in Lier.
- The academy is a fifteen-minute walk from the station. It is an easy route that leads through the beautiful historic center of Lier.
- There is paid parking on the square in front of the school. Free parking is possible on a square within five-minute walking distance.