Meseszó Egyesület represents authentic storytelling and preserves the oral spoken cultural heritage. The purpose and the function of the association is the cultivation of cultural activities as well as the safeguarding of the cultural heritage. The aim of the association is to play a prominent role in the Hungarian cultural life, as a professional association and representative of those ones, who are interested in and involved with any level of oral folklore. We aim is to preserve and transmit traditions and values, and to ensure the protection and representation of the interests of oral folklore practitioners.The association wants to present, nurture, transfer and vitalize the traditions of oral folklore; making these values visible in public collections and publications. To promote and maintain storytelling traditions; to improve artistic and educational conditions of these traditions, to provide support for artistic activities in this field, as well as the cooperation, communication and information flow between individuals and organizations involved in oral folklore.
The association’s missions are the followings:
- To preserve and invigorate the values of Hungarian oral folklore.
- To unite the practitioners and representatives of oral folklore among Hungarian ethnic minorities as well as those Hungarians, who are considered minorities in the neighboring countries.
- Creation of cooperation opportunities for oral folklore practitioners as well as exploration of international cooperation opportunities.
- Sharing experiences with text/oral folklore organizations, storytellers, researchers in other countries.
- Establishing meeting occasions with traditional representatives of oral folklore, promoting the spread of folklore through oral tradition.
- Support activities aimed at the high-quality cultivation of oral folklore genres as well as support those activities which aim is to preserve and transmit the traditional culture, language and form.
- Approaching today's storytelling practices to traditional storytelling forms.